Our third great source of personal power is Use Your Voice… in other words, be an Influencer: Get in the habit of actively influencing those around us, in our jobs and our economy.
And influence our leaders at every level – so they know we expect no less than strong progress in the fight to slow global warming .
Our voices are real power and each of us has much, much more clout than we realize…
- Use your voice to advocate using letters and social media, and by participating in the civic life of our cities and towns.
- Use your voice by never, ever missing an election: VOTE!
- Use your voice to influence the people around us, in our daily social interactions.
- Use your cash donations to influence mission-critical policy or to further the good advocacy other folks are doing.
- Use your voice: Support the petitions of others.
A bonus: Once you get going on Using Your Voice there is a snowball effect, as we discover power we didn’t realize we had… (especially when we deal with the subtle “learned helplessness” that infects much of the modern world).
A key ingredient here, which is especially useful to Busy People: Like all good managers and executives, much advocacy WORKS THROUGH OTHERS and thus has a virtuous multiplier-effect!
* * *
Not sure how to start saving the planet (civilization, really)? Start by always remembering that “Hope is a renewable resource.”
Then, our practical answer becomes “Deeply know the personal Superpowers” all humans bring to the game of life:
3) To save the planet, USE OUR VOICES and take advocacy seriously! Never miss a vote and never, ever stop influencing your government and all businesses locally, at the state level, and at the national level. As well, set a solid example for all around you to see. Jawbone to others about what we need to do, and influence them as peers. Finally, have an annual cash donations program. All of these are ways we can use our voices.
Stay focussed: Lead the way with substantive global warming solutions. (Far from being a bummer, this is actually a fun trend for each of us to be part of… get energized!) Our kids and their kids will be proud of us.
And in all cases and at all times, cast aside the learned-helplessness that infects so much of modern life… the time is now for climate change solutions. Never give up.
* * *